What is the best drill on the market?
Crooked holes, pictures that hang down and hammer blows to the finger. And that’s not to mention the assembly and disassembly of furniture from the IKEA. Spending the weekend with the screwdriver and the hammer in hand ends up being an ordeal. And, if you are not a handyman or you like DIY, we won’t even talk about the best result.
Luckily, DIY and maintenance is much easier, more accurate and faster with the help of household tools such as a drill. Screwing, drilling and even sanding is possible with one of these machines.
The problem comes when choosing before the infinity of types and brands that exist in the market. Hammer, battery, column, which drill to buy?
After hours of research, we have prepared this complete buying guide with advice and comparison of the best cheap drills on the market of 2021.
Tips for choosing a good drill
Knowing the technical characteristics of the equipment makes shopping much easier when choosing the best product for you and for the use you are going to give it. Whether it is for home or professional use, it is important that you take into account, at least, the aspects that we discuss below:
- Power: depending on the type you will have to compare the different powers. In general, look for models between 230 and 710 watts.
- Use: The same type of product is not required for assembling furniture as for drilling materials such as concrete or brick or even for screwdriving work. It is necessary to be clear about what will be the majority use of the device to choose the best type for you. Drilling, screwing, milling and even sanding or polishing are activities that you can do with this tool.
- Brushless technology : also known as brushless motors. The models that incorporate it do not produce friction, making better use of power and energy, and facilitating the productivity of the tool. In addition, they heat up less and make less noise. 100% efficiency.
- Cable : There are models with cable or cordless drills. The drillers cable are best choice for regular use, while the battery are perfect for casual use.
- Autonomy: if you opt for a cordless drill, it is important to take into account the autonomy time of the battery to ensure that it is enough to finish the work to be done.
- Percussion and rotational speed : if you need a hammer drill, you should pay attention to characteristics such as the rotational speed, which we recommend is higher than 1000 rpm, and can reach 3000 rpm . The higher it is, the easier it will be to pass through hard materials such as stone or concrete.
- Design and Grip – Ergonomics for easy grip and use of the drill is critical to avoid hand fatigue or pain. Most are adapted with an ergonomic handle and it is something that you can check in the list of technical characteristics of the model you are reviewing.
- Drill bits and accessories: When choosing a drill, make sure that it includes a set of drill bits and tips that will serve you to perform different tasks. Although many of them are interchangeable, acquiring them separately can be more difficult, it is much better to check which models include them and if they are very useful.
- Size and weight: while more practical and lighter, more comfortable will be its handling and support.
- Grip: Drills have two types of grip, one in the shape of a pistol and the other in the shape of a “T” , although sometimes these two types are combined in a single model to balance the weight and improve the control of the equipment. To carry out work in narrow places there is a third model and they are the angle drills , these are shorter and easily fit in difficult spaces, in addition, they can drill at right angles. Depending on the use you are going to give it, you should check the type of grip.
- Chuck type and size: in holes keyless chuck , assembly and disassembly of accessories is made much simpler and worry about finding lost keys. The chuck size determines the shaft size you can accept. The most common measurements are 3/8 and 1/2 inches. The first is ideal for light work and useful for everyday tasks, it can accept any accessory whose shaft does not exceed 10 mm in diameter. The 1/2-inch chucks are suitable for heavy-duty work and accept shafts up to 13mm.
- Screwdriver function: Most cordless drills include this function . It is a torque or torque control mechanism, which turns off the drill when a lot of rotational force is reached. Adjustment is done through a numbered dial that can reach 31 positions, where low numbers represent low torque. Low torque means lower clamping force.
- Depth stop : Some models of drills incorporate a depth stop to prevent the bit from drilling beyond what is required. This has to be easily removable and is a very useful function when drilling at home, especially if you do not have much experience with one of these devices.
- Speed : there are drills with automatic speed control , which are ideal for simple tasks, since when the trigger is pulled more, the speed is greater. However, the best drills are those that offer 2-speed mechanical control , one for drilling, ideal for harder surfaces; and another for screwing or for more basic drilling jobs.
How much money should you spend on a drill?
Buying the best tools for the home is a good option if you like DIY, and even more so if you are going to give your drill a professional use or a regular home use. Luckily, there are drills of many prices for all budgets, but if you want quality because you are going to use it assiduously, it is best that you invest in good equipment.
- Cheaper drills (less than € 30): these are the cheapest models that are usually manufactured by unknown brands, have a lower power and include fewer accessories in general.
- Better quality drills (plus € 30): They are the best long-term investment for those who want to work on home repairs or DIY home professionally. These devices have more power, have more functions and accessories that make the work easier and faster to carry out and are also more resistant and durable over time due to the quality of their manufacturing materials.
The 6 best drills for their quality and price
This is a drilling machine that, for very little money, will allow you to work on any type of surface such as wood and metal. Its powerful 12 V motor allows it to reach up to 1300 rpm , to carry out all kinds of drilling and screwing. It is very convenient as f Operates on a rechargeable lithium , so you do not have to worry about the cable.
It is very comfortable, since it is compact and light , and its rubber grip is very ergonomic. It also has an integrated LED light , so you can work, even in places with low light. It comes in a practical case with multiple accessories , so you can use it anywhere.
If you go to Amazon, you can buy it for less than € 50.
2.Black & Decker KR705K-QS
Backed by this renowned brand, this drill is a great choice for your home. Its powerful 750 W motor and its hammering action allow you to drill down to stone, which is why it is a very versatile tool when drilling. Its reversible system allows it to rotate in both directions, reducing sparks and reducing drilling time.
Its aluminum gear dissipates heat and is very resistant; therefore, this drill is very durable. Its self- locking bit holder significantly improves the fixation of the bit, which makes it very precise and safe. It comes with a very comfortable non-slip handle and comes in a practical carrying case.
You can buy it on Amazon, at a gift price
This is a very compact and functional cordless drill that comes with a wide variety of accessories, so you can use it in all kinds of projects. It works with 2 very durable rechargeable lithium batteries . Its ergonomic and lightweight handle design makes it very comfortable.
Its torque control in 10 positions, allows to control the clamping of the tool, to do more precise and safe work.
It comes in a practical case with more than 35 accessories, for all kinds of piercings. Also includes a pair of professional gloves.
You get it on Amazon, at a price without competition.
4. Bosch GSV
If you need a drill for professional jobs , we recommend you take a look at this model. This is a cordless percussion drill , with which you can drill down to steel. It comes with a 2-speed planetary gear and 20 torque positions, with which you can easily drill and screw.
In addition, it comes with a bright LED light that illuminates the work area, so you can use it in places with low light. And it comes with a battery level indicator , to monitor the power level while you work. It is very light, weighing only 1 kilo , and it comes with 36 drilling accessories .
We recommend that you buy it on Amazon, at a very affordable price.
5. Black & Decker EGBHP188K
This is a highly recommended drill for do-it-yourself jobs , since its striking force of 44 Nm allows drilling very easily. Its drilling ability can drill metal, wood and masonry with professional precision. Plus, it runs on 18V lithium batteries , so you don’t have to worry about annoying cables.
It is very user-friendly as it has 2 mechanical speeds , one for screwing and the other for drilling, which will help you maintain control throughout the process.
It allows 24 positions of torque control and comes with a 13 mm chuck , that is why it is a tool that cannot be missing in your workshop.
You can buy this magnificent drill on Amazon, at a very affordable price.
6. Einhell Expert
This drilling machine is characterized because it is very small, light and handy , which will make your projects easier to carry out. Its powerful motor lets you drill into wood, metal, and masonry . And the automatic locking of the spindle in the chuck makes it very easy to change different tools.
Its ergonomic auxiliary handle allows the work of the hammer to be constant and easy to control. And the built-in LED light comes in handy in dark places. It brings a charger that allows you to recharge the battery in just 30 minutes, so it is always ready to use. And it comes in a very practical carrying case
Go to Amazon now, and take this drill at a solidarity price and without leaving home
Buying guide: which drilling machine to buy?
Now that we know which are the best drills on the market for home use, it is worth knowing in detail how these machines work, how to use them, which are the best brands or the stores where you can find the best valued products.
All the information to choose which drill to buy is below, in our buying guide with tips.
What is a drill?
It is a device that has a rotating accessory that, in general, is a drill bit, but in certain occasions it can be a milling cutter, a screwdriver, a paint stirrer or a sanding stone. Drill bits are used to drill wood, stone, plastic, granite, concrete, cement, metal, or drywall, among others.
Drills are very common tools in all types of construction and industrial jobs, as well as a multitude of DIY tasks and simple household tasks, such as assembling furniture or hanging a bookcase, for example.
Advantages of using a drill
Doing work at home requires great precision, accuracy and the best possible quality, in this way the best results will be achieved. Using drills in home DIYs allows for fast and accurate screwing or drilling. Some of the advantages of these devices are the following:
- Precise work: it is a device that offers complete precision and optimal results, as long as the right-size fight is used.
- Easy to use: you just need to know which bit to use for which job and hold the device firmly when drilling the hole.
- Versatile: it is a simple, practical and versatile device, since it allows different tasks to be carried out thanks to the wide variety of adaptable bits.
- They can be used on various materials: wood, metal, concrete, plaster and countless other surfaces. The highest quality, high-end drills work effectively on virtually any surface.
How to use a drill?
Using one of these tools at first glance may seem easy and although there are a series of basic steps that we will show you below, it is important that you adapt each of them to the materials that are going to be drilled with the drill and to the type of machine you decide to buy. With that said, here are the steps you need to take to properly use a drill and land an effective job:
- Choosing the right bit for the job: Each of the bits included with the appliance work best in different materials. In case you are drilling harder materials, it is best to use thicker and heavier bits.
- Mark the point to be drilled: Accuracy is key when working at home. Before making any drilling, it is best to mark a spot on the material with a nail to prevent the drill from slipping.
- Keep the work area clean: When drilling holes, debris can jump out and turn the area into a dirty and dusty space, thus making it more difficult to see the marks. With the help of a tape, an envelope can be fastened under the mark to keep the floor clean, and dust can be wiped off with a damp cloth.
- Adjust the power for the job: Each speed works differently. If you are drilling, it is best to use higher speeds. However, to screw it is advisable to set the equipment at minimum speeds.
- Change the stem after making the hole: The drills have specific speeds to open holes. Once the first hole has been made, a continuous high speed must be maintained to guarantee a straight line.
Here is the interesting thing because knowing what type of drill to buy for the use you are going to give it is essential before looking at any other feature. In general, we can classify them like this:
- Corded: they only work by connecting to an electrical outlet and are ideal when you need maximum performance for a long time. They incorporate different speeds and have the disadvantage that the cable can become a nuisance during use, in addition to being usually heavier than battery models.
- Battery : also called wireless or cordless drills. They incorporate a rechargeable battery, which can be lithium and can be charged in less time; or nickel. They are usually lighter and it is important to check the voltage (one of 18V works well) and the autonomy because the higher they are, the easier it will be to work with it.
- Screwdriver or impact : specially designed to function as a screwdriver. They incorporate a hammer and exert a turning force or torque that facilitates furniture assembly work or DIY with wood, for example.
- Pneumatic – Also known as a pneumatic hammer or portable hammer drill, it is the best choice for professional construction jobs that require breaking or drilling surfaces such as concrete.
- With hammer : it is a type of drill, or accessory that can be added to your drill, which allows the drill not only to rotate, but also to chip on the surface to be worked. It is very noisy and has the only utility of drilling.
- Angular : allows drilling at 90 degrees in any surface and is specially designed to drill in places with space problems.
- Column : it is a fixed drill with a vertical structure fixed to a column that has a base on which the object to be drilled is placed. It is for professional use and is used mainly in workshops.
- Bench : they are used to drill metals such as steel, but also plastics and wood using specially designed bits.
- Radial : also called radial arm press, it is a drilling head on an axis that has a wide horizontal base on which the pieces to be drilled are placed.
- Manual : It is the hand drill of a lifetime and is practically no longer used.
Best Drill Brands
There are endless brands of tool manufacturers and in the case of drills we believe that the best are three:
- Bosch – its line includes tools and electrical products for home use and among them we highlight its Bosch Professional GBH drill , Bosch Advanced Drill, its Bosch Universal Impact line or its Bosch Home and Garden
- Black and Decker – has a large catalog of household tools in all price ranges and is one of the most popular when it comes to buying cheap tools. We highlight its different 12v and 18V hammer drills.
- Einhell – another leading brand in the tool sector whose catalog covers a wide range of types of drilling machines. We highlight their TE-CD 18, Tacklife 850W, Power X-Change drills and their impact hammer drills.
Where can you buy a drill?
Hardware stores, DIY stores and even generic stores and hypermarkets. There are many stores where you can buy your drilling machine, but if you want to choose the best online store we propose these four:
- Amazon Drills: Not only does it have the largest online catalog at a virtual level, but it also provides a large number of offers, brands and products of all effective ranges for different types of clients and jobs. It is a safe and comfortable store to make purchases online, with 24-hour shipping and free returns.
- Drills by Carrefour: This platform has a wide range of products and offers. The brands are diverse, high and low-end, also with good prices. Most of the cheaper products are not available, likewise, it has offers on high-end products that can be taken advantage of.
- Drills by Leroy Merlin: Many of the brands in its catalog are high-end and of great quality. Brands recognized for their excellence and effectiveness are available. Also, you can take advantage of offers with free shipping on high-end equipment, being an option to take into account when making the final purchase.
- Bricodepot drills: It offers cable and portable drills in its online store. It has few products but with a wide variety of brands to compensate you. Most of the products in their repertoire are mid-range and they provide a host of accessories.
- Drilling machine from El Corte Ingles – They offer you everything from electronic products, video games, fashion, accessories, DIY, household items to food products. They have good availability for this product even, you can find extra accessories for it.
Some of the common questions that readers interested in buying a drill have sent us are answered below:
Is a hammer drill the same as a rotary hammer?
No. The main difference is that the rotary hammer allows you to drill or demolish with an in and out motion that is not possible with a standard drill.
In addition, it is often used on hard surfaces such as stone and should never be used on metals such as steel. It is more powerful and has larger dimensions
How to make grooves in wood with a drill?
Making grooves in wood can seem like something impossible to do at home. However, with some simple tools it is possible to carry out this work, just by following these simple steps that we show you below:
- Mark the edges of the groove or use a template: With the help of a ruler you can trace the path through which the groove will be made. If you have a template, it is best to mark the figure in pencil on the piece of wood.
- Mark the ends with a drill bit: With the drill, bits that match the size of a fastener will be used. In case of being a delicate material, it is best to use a thin bit.
- If a template is used, mark key spaces in it: In this way, the operation of the fence will be easier and more comfortable to work with.
- Choose the saw blade: This should match the size of the bit, so you can ensure a fixed path.
- Follow the guide with the help of the holes until you reach the other end: The ideal is to make the slots one by one in an organized manner, to guarantee a professional and clean work.
Advantages of using a drill, what are its strengths?
Today, this tool is very popular, not only because it is very convenient to use, but also because it offers some benefits that we will tell you about below.
What are the advantages of using a drilling machine? Its advantages are:
- Maximize productivity .
- Light .
- Ideal for drilling different materials .
- They are also used for unscrewing .
many people face challenges while choosing the Best Cheap Drills from it. So, if you’re one of them we’re going to help you to choose the Best Cheap Drills from amazon. As we’ve seen people get confused while choosing Best Cheap Drills because Amazon has a large variety of Best Cheap Drills. People have different questions while choosing Best Cheap Drills. But don’t worry! We are here to help you.